As current societies become more complex, HEIs have become aware of the need to transcend territorial borders, generate strategic alliances and share successful experiences to promote the advancement of knowledge.[…]
The IOHE has aspired to become an Inter-American leader and a strategic ally of HEIs to consolidate its role to drive social change in the fight against social inequalities and to promote the knowledge society and learning.
—Dr. Óscar Garrido, Universidad de Los Lagos, Chile
Executive Director's message
For nearly 40 years, the Inter-American Organization for Higher Education (IOHE) has set as its mission to contribute to the transformation of higher education institutions (HEIs) to respond to their social and political contexts, by building and creating common spaces for Inter-American cooperation.
Through its leadership and its five programs, the IOHE is dedicated to providing the necessary means and a wide range of experts to implement innovative strategies based on best practice and address sectoral progress and challenges. The IGLU, COLAM, CAMPUS, EMULIES and EIESTEC programs bring together hundreds of participants each year around themes such as innovation, internationalization, gender equity, social responsibility and organizational management. […]
— Dr. David Julien, IOHE Executive director
The IOHE relies on a participative approach to attain its objectives. Member institutions, represented by its legal representative, together make up the General Assembly, the supreme decision-making body of the Organization.
The General Assembly participates in the election of the Board of Directors, its President as well as its Vice Presidents and ratifies the election of the Regional Councils. It designates the Executive Director, the Treasurer and the Legal Advisor.
The General Assembly identifies priorities, establishes annual fees and other questions of financial contribution, establishes the aims and adopts the decisions or useful recommendations for the effective management of the Organization.
The General Assembly meets once a year at a date and location decided by the Board of Directors.
The Board of Directors is the body responsible for managing the administrative affairs of the IOHE. It is comprised of 13 experienced members who typically sit at the head some of the largest universities in their respective countries.
The Board of Directors strives to maintain a balanced representation of public, private, cooperative and denominational universities from across the Americas.
Each of the nine IOHE regions is under the responsibility of a Regional Council, presided over by a Vice President who serves a renewable two-year term. They provide support for the President, the General-Secretariat, and the Executive Directors of IOHE programs, which together form the Executive Committee.
The Board meets twice a year, in addition to maintaining regular contact between meetings.
Currently, it is comprised of:
- President: Oscar Garrido Alvarez, President, Universidad de Los Lagos, Chile
- Executive Director: David Julien
- Treasurer: Valérie Amiraux, Vice-Rector, Community and International Partnerships, Université de Montréal, Canada
- Outgoing President: Allan Cahoon, ex-President, Royal Roads University, Canada
- Regional Vice Presidents:
- Andean Countries: Mauro Toscanini Segale, President, Universidad Católica de Santiago de Guayaquil, Ecuador
- Brazil: Denise Pires de Carvalhol, President, niversidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Canada: Joy Johnson, President and Vice-Chancellor, Simon Fraser University, Canada
- Caribbean: Ramón Alfredo de la Cruz Baldera, President, Pontificia Universidad Católica Madre y Maestra, Dominican Republic
- Central America: Dr. Eduardo Flores Castro, President, Universidad de Panamá, Panama
- Colombia: Dra. Maritza Rondón Rangel, President, Universidad Cooperativa de Colombia, Colombia
- Mexico: Dr. Luis Felipe Guerrero Agripino, President, Universidad de Guanajuato, Mexico
- Southern Cone: Dra. María Delfina Veirave, President, Universidad Nacional del Nordeste, Argentina
- United States: Federico Zaragoza, Vice Chancellor, College of Southern Nevada
The members of each region, the Counselors, and the respective Vice President comprise the Regional Assembly.
The Regional Council’s main functions are to support the best interests of their region within the context of IOHE by approving the Regional Annual Development Plan, electing the Vice President, the Deputy Vice President, and Regional Counselors, as well as to formulate proposals for regional initiatives that support the aims of the Organization.
It holds an ordinary meeting at least once a year and an extraordinary meeting upon petition by one third of its members, as requested by the President or by the IOHE Board of Directors.
Executive director: David Julien
Planning and development direction: Fernando Daniels
Academic direction: Leticia Jimenez
Institutional relations: Claudia Nunez del Arco
Communications: Ana Maria Gonzalez
eMOVIES: Sara Osorio
Accounting: Habimael Rodriguez